Self Served Life Lesson, A La Mode Of Course

Some times you have to learn as you live. People say you can learn from others, from reading books, all that stuff. They are mostly wrong. You have to learn most life lessons by screwing up yourself. There are some areas where this doesn't apply:
Experimenting with meth
Driving your car wasted to see if you can do it
Touching a burning blow torch to test your "asbestos fingers"
Trying to punch a train off the tracks

We all know the outcome of those things is really bad. Really bad. However, some people my age don't know jack when it comes to putting their crap in order and making things happen. For instance I was going to use ORAMM as my "A" race for the 2011 season. I have been more consistent with my fitness and working towards being faster. I was hoping for an even more impressive result than last year where I showed up and sorta did great given my fitness and stuff. Reality check. Boom. Registration is full. All of the sudden dudes are offering entry fee, transfer fee, plus 100 bucks. Wow. Thats like 1/2 of one of my paychecks. Before driving 10 hours, making hotel/camping reservations, and eating. Hmm. Time to face the cold hard facts. I don't have the money for entry fee, let alone all the other jazz. That means all that would go on my credit card. For what would hopefully be less than 6 hours 30 minutes on race course.

Totally not going to happen. I am going to skip ORAMM and not put myself in debt. It sucks. I should have registered while entry fee was cheap back in February. I should have asked for entry for my birthday in February. However what would suck more? Paying 14% interest on entry fees, travel, lodging and food for a silly race. That is stupid. The bike I want retails for$2150. I should save money towards buying a new bike. A road bike. So I don't have to race road on a cross bike with a set of road tires and a neg 30 degree stem. (it sure is fun to drop guys on carbon bikes/wheels though).

The moral of this blog post? If I had drank less beer in the last 5.5 months, I could be registered for ORAMM.  But I didn't. So instead I will skip the hassle of hussling for an entry and realize that I need to do better in the future. This is a life lesson moment.

Comments

Popular Posts